Date:      Thu, 19 Sep 1996 11:01:05 +0200 (IST)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        wOOwOO <woowoo@mark.petra.ac.id>
Cc:        Gary Chrysler <tcg@ime.net>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adding ttyv? devices.

On Thu, 19 Sep 1996, wOOwOO wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Sep 1996, Nadav Eiron wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 18 Sep 1996, Gary Chrysler wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all.
> > >
> > > I've been searching/reading archives/FAQ's and as far as I can tell
> > > MAXCONS is 12 by default (LINT), So to add ttyv[4-11] should be:
> > > 	% ./MAKEDEV ttyv4
> > > It returns:
> > > 	ttyv4 - no such device name
> > >
> > > and add em to /etc/ttys
> > >
> > > What am I missing here.
> > I guess you can't be blamed, because this is really confusing.
> > You should do ./MAKEDEV vty4
> >
> > Look in MAKEDEV for such things...
>
> yeah .. the devices were succesfully created, but how to make its active
> (pressing alt-f5, alt-f6, etc.) ?
>
> I tried to add in /etc/ttys
>
> But got error from kernel ... ttyv? not configured ...
It works for me... You can check for how many consoles your kernel is
configuring by simple doing:
dmesg | grep console

I suspect it isn't configured correctly. I'm currently on a machine with
options         "MAXCONS=8"

in its config file, and adding the devices to /dev and /etc/ttys, and
then "kill -1 1" (no reboot even...) gave me additional consoles.
I might be mising something too though... :-)

> thanks for your help :)
>
> Agustinus

Nadav