Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 1997 23:40:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        spork <spork@super-g.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mmap and INN

On Thu, 11 Sep 1997, spork wrote:

> I've attached two messages I dug up out of the mail archives that seem to
> contradict each other.  Gary says mmap + INN is a good thing, and Mike
> says it's a bad thing...
>
> Who should I listen to?  We're close to going live with a 2.2-stable news
> machine, and I'm a bit confused about what INN optimizations to go with.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Charles

  mmap() was never really broken, INN just had some assumptions on how it
ought to work.  Make sure you use MMAP_SYNC.  I also have the nnrpd's mmap
the active file too (this is not part of stock INN 1.5.1).

  I have seen corruption in the active file, but only after a crash.  I
basically saw a bunch of zeros added near the end of the file.  If innd
doesn't die, I don't have a problem.

  I don't thing the INN port config.data defaults are the greatest.  The
BLOCK_BACKOFF setting is too high (should be as low as possible, since
basically everyone uses channel feeds, and they will clear quickly), and
ICD_SYNC_COUNT is too low and will mean that you will sync almost every
second.  Also, NNTP_ACTIVITY_SYNC is too low, among other things.

Tom