Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 1996 09:50:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Stephen F. Combs" <combssf@salem.ge.com>
To:        Lars Gerhard Kuehl <lars@elbe.desy.de>
Cc:        jehamby@lightside.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pageable kernel? [was: PnP Proposal]

On the idea of a microkernel, I've got a grand total of 3 Solaris2.x
systems out of 70 total Sun's [and one of those was forced on me by
corporate!].  The reason I initially went with 386BSD0.1 was because of
it's close similarity to my SunO/S box at work!  MicroKernels COULD be
nice but my experience with them has been SH**.  I've been working with
SYSVr4 for years [fighting all the way] and am constantly pinging on my
Sun Rep to keep SunO/S 4.x alive!
Just my $0.02 worth!
Steve Combs
CombsSF@Salem.GE.COM

On Thu, 11 Jan 1996, Lars Gerhard Kuehl
wrote:

> Date: Thu, 11 Jan 96 14:34:31 +0100
> From: Lars Gerhard Kuehl <lars@elbe.desy.de>
> To: jehamby@lightside.com
> Cc: freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: Pageable kernel? [was: PnP Proposal]
>
> > Jake Hamby:
> >
> > microkernel-type design (with dynamic memory management) a la Solaris,
> > where every filesystem, device driver, etc, is a separate file.  I know,
> 						   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> ...and if either of these is damaged you're seriously in trouble...
>
> > ... I'm dreaming, but it would still be nice...
>
> A nightmare, it has been one of the most important reasons that I've
> changed to FreeBSD and switched back to SunOS on our Sparc boxes.
>
> FreeBSD is adult and doesn't need to follow every fashion.
> The kernel size isn't really an issue well say up to two or
> three MB. For a reasonable performance you need now at least
> 16 MB and be certain the requirements will further grow
> regardless whether the system has a micro kernel or a rather
> traditional kernel.
>
> A micro kernel is a good solution for an commercial OS - it
> allows to sell special service modules seperately - today an
> OS still only without C compiler will tomorrow come without
> networking capability, the day after tomorrow without scsi
> driver. Call that scalable and you will become a rich man.
> But there isn't need for that in a free operating system.
>
> 	Lars

   (My employer is in NO WAY responsible for the opinions expressed herein)
Stephen F. Combs                 Internet:	CombsSF@Salem.GE.COM
GE Industrial Sales & Services	 Voice:		540.387.8828
Network Services		 Home:		CombsSF-Home@Salem.GE.COM
1501 Roanoke Blvd                Home Voice:	540.389.9524
Salem, VA  24153                 (not reliable after 9:30pm, 'cuz 'tis my link)