Date:      Tue, 09 Oct 2001 17:41:13 +1000
From:      Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   vinum "backups"

I have two systems which are running (virtually) identical vinum
mirrored configurations, and I'd like to back them up by copying
an entire disk from each system to a third system, such that if
one of the first two systems died completely, I could switch the
disks around in the backup machine to replace it.

  -------------------           -------------------
  |        a        |           |        b        |
  -------------------           -------------------
    |             |               |             |
  -----         -----           -----         -----
  |ad0| <-----> |ad2|           |ad0| <-----> |ad2|
  -----  vinum  -----           -----  vinum  -----
    |                             |                    |
    |                             |                    |
    ----------------             --                    | backup to standby
                   |             |                     |
                   |             |                     v
                 -----         -----
         (a:ad0) |ad1|         |ad2| (b:ad0)
                 -----         -----
                   |             |
                 -------------------
                 |     standby     |
                 -------------------

                        -----
                        |ad0|
                        -----
                       (system)

The problem is that I'd like to at least validate that the filesystems
on the backup disks pass basic tests (fsck, mount, ...) but since the
systems have been setup identically, I'm concerned that the vinum
definitions copied to standby:ad1 and standby:ad2 will "clash", causing
one of the backups to get nuked.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Tony
--
Tony Landells					<ahl@austclear.com.au>
Senior Network Engineer				Ph:  +61 3 9677 9319