Date:      Thu, 2 Jan 1997 13:06:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jamie Bowden <jamie@inna.net>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: advice sought - Quantum 2GB Atlas broken

Your disk is most likey had a head crash.  Last time we had a drive do
that, when we opened it up, there was the distinctive groove where the
head had crashed.  It keeps making noises cause it tries and fails to
reset the head properly.  Hopefully you have recent backups.  If you have
a spare drive of the same make and model, swapping the electronics is a
fairly trivial task.  A couple of screws and a connector.

On Thu, 2 Jan 1997, Christoph Kukulies wrote:

> Coming back from a short holiday I powered on a P90 machine with
> (among other IDE disks) a Quantum 2GB ATLAS XP32150 and the SCSI disks
> saluted with a continous one second interval clicking noise.
> It spins up but the head seems to do some wild moves followed by a
> 'chuck-clack' with the NCR PCI BIOS not coming to an end of the probing
> phase. At least the NCR BIOS sits there for half an hour already
> and that noise is repeating unchanged.
>
> As always in such situations that disk contained some important data I
> would like to preserve.  Despite of this the disk is still under warranty.
> So giving it back and waiting 8 weeks for replacement isn't the issue.
> It's just the data I wish to recover.
>
> Does anyone have experience with drive electronics swapping?
> I have a second disk of that model and I'm tempted to swap the
> electronics PCB (after having bought the appropriate hex nut driver
> tomorrow, is that the correct expression :-)
>
> I suspect that the electronics stores some bad block info in some kind
> of nvram on the controller board but not sure about this.
>

> --Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kuku@gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de

Jamie Bowden

Network Administrator, TBI Ltd.