Date:      Sat, 12 Aug 2000 13:11:39 -0700
From:      Joe Modjeski <jmodjeski@ms1.northlink.com>
To:        "'Bernd Walter'" <ticso@mail.cicely.de>
Cc:        "'freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: to Vinum or not to Vinum

> On Thu, Aug 10, 2000 at 12:09:47PM -0700, Joe Modjeski wrote:
> > Currently we have 3 Compaq Proliant 1600R servers with 6
> 9.1 Ultra3 drives
> > in each.  We are attempting (very unsuccessfully) to do
> Raid5 with vinum.
> > We get fatal trap 12 errors very regularly and after a few
> reboots the vinum
> > volume is so chewed up that we end up having to rebuild the
> system.  I
> > tracked down the majority of the problems to the
> /etc/security script.  I
> > believe it is about the 6th or 7th line down where it
> starts the find run.
> > The box starts off fine but after about 1 minute it starts
> to hit all the
> > drives at once then BLAM!! It gives me the error.
>
> Are your fatal trap 12 errors kernel panics?
> If yes do you see some SCSI error messages directly before
> this happens?
>
> --
> B.Walter              COSMO-Project
> http://www.cosmo-project.de
> ticso@cicely.de         Usergroup           info@cosmo-project.de

Yes they are kernel panics.  And Yes there are always SCSI errors.

BAD DSA ( SOME_HEX_NUMBER ) in queue
SCSI BUS RESET DETECTED sym0:0:-1:-1

The above isn't exact.  The message conveniently misses the logs.  I can get
the exact messages if you would like.  I am trying to avoid crashing the box
as much as possible. :)

The drives are Hotswap and it does appear that they get "Disconnected" when
the error happens.  It is however no specific.  In my original vinum setup I
was spanning the raid across all 6 drives.  Then it was consistant with
drive 0.  I though that was reason for the trouble so I changed the
configuration to the one included in the previous message.

I have compiled a debug kernel in an effort to get a dump and now the fatal
trap 12 kernel panics are less the SCSI errors that go along with them are
more consistant.

Joe Modjeski
Administrator
jmodjeski@northlink.com