Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 1997 08:43:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@superior.truenorth.org>
To:        neuhaus@folkwang.uni-essen.de (Thomas Neuhaus)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Raid Controller Support

>Hello everyone,
>
>For some reason I need to set up a RAID system which does striping and
>error-correction. (I guess this is RAID-5) and would like our
>FreeBSD-box to host it. At the moment we still use 2.1.5 here. My questions
>are:
>
>Does any of the later versions (2.2?) of FreeBSD support RAID-COntrollers
>like the Adaptec 3985?
>
>If so, can we build a RAID5 system based on that controller and FreeBSD?
>IŽd like FreeBSD to see just a huge disk of some 20 GB and have the
>controller do the rest incl. error checking and signalling.
>
>Does anybody have experience with a setup like that (or has or does know
>about any other *working* configuration)?
>
>Thanks in advance for any hints,
>
>Thomas

DPT (http://www.dpt.com) has a line of SCSI RAID controler that I have been
told are pretty good. Their web site has device drivers, in source, for BSDI
and Linux. Perhaps you would be interested in doing a device driver for
FreeBSD ?

Josef

--
Josef Grosch       | Laugh while you can, monkey boy ! |    FreeBSD 2.1.6
jgrosch@sirius.com |          - John Warfin -          | UNIX for the masses