Date:      Fri, 08 Jan 2010 17:02:31 -0500
From:      "Mikhail T." <mi+thun@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        karel@lovetemple.net, mm@FreeBSD.org, Joerg Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>, ports@FreeBSD.org, eischen@vigrid.com
Subject:   Re: Maintaining compiler front-ends (Re: The state of Ada)

01/08/10 15:59, Joerg Wunsch ???????(??):
> I'm also maintaining a port of libbfd which is used by some AVR
> toolchain software.  This port is set up in a "kitchensink" way, so
> all possible binary file formats are included.  This could perhaps
> serve as a base for a generic GNU libbfd package to be used by other
> GNU stuff if desired.  Note that it requires GNU libiberty to be
> installed as well (freelibiberty won't do), as libbfd uses
> undocumented GNU libiberty functions.:-(

Hi, Joerg! Yes, this is why I added you to CC, and I do think, that the
common libbfd ought to have all of the known targets included. Even
altogether they use very little space -- less, than having to add just
one more flavor separately (even multiplied by the probability of ever
having to do that :)

As for GNUberty, well... Maybe, some day, we'll add those functions to
the liberfreety (or patch bfd to avoid them). Until then -- use the
GNU's code as we do elsewhere...

Yours,

    -mi