Date:      Sun, 7 Sep 1997 20:01:05 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        evanc@synapse.net (Evan Champion)
Cc:        andreas@klemm.gtn.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: what do you think ... should/could ports move to -> /usr/local/ports ?

> > I'm just repartitioning my system. When thinking about a new
> > disk layout and partitioning I came to the conclusion, that
> > putting the ports collection to /usr/local/ports would be cleaner,
> > than using /usr/ports.
>
> I find that /usr/local/ is overused as it is.  You could move it to
> /usr/local/ and make a symlink, or make a new slice for /usr/ports/.

Each package should go into an independently mountable subsection of
the FS.

A volume/package descriptor, if you will.

That lets me move descriptors around at will, if they are non-local.

Consider the case of an IR capable laptop accessing a copy of a
presentation software package in a West coast office via an
ethernet connection to an NFS server in the West cost office,
and via an IR link to an NFS server in the East coast office.

The software doesn't need to take up space on the laptop proper,
but unlike Windows 95/NT, where the volume identifier is important
(it's hard-coded in the registry), it could be totally anonymous;
preferrably, the package name.

Ideally, you would install each package on it's own LP which
consisted of one or more PP's (logical/physical partitions; like
in AIX, a PP would be ~4M in size -- or smaller).

See, you don't want to acess /usr/local/ports or /usr/ports, you
want to access a software package.

Only a slight modification is necessary for NFS to export package
identifiers instead of volume identifiers.  The last piece is the
name services modification needed to say "servers x, y, and z export
package Q" when the name service is asked "where is package Q?".

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.