Date:      Fri, 3 Jan 2003 07:00:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      Nicolas Christin <nicolas@cs.virginia.edu>
To:        Barry Irwin <bvi@itouchlabs.com>
Cc:        kseel <kseel@utcorp.com>, <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Quad ethernet question

On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, Barry Irwin wrote:

> kseel wrote:
>
> >  Anyone using one of these?
> >
> > http://www.corpsys.com/store/prodinfo.asp?number=ANA6944&variation=&aitem=60&mitem=62
> > If so, is the performance good?
> >
> I have a similar card ( also adaptec 4 port) in a number of firewalls.
> FreeBSD uses the sf driver.  Been running these for about 18 months with no
> hastles.

Well, I have had problems with it. I can't remember the exact wording of
the error message I was getting, but under a very high load (all four
ports spitting out about 90 Mbps), the card would frequently complain
that some buffer was full and it couldn't send anymore. The only way to
get the card back was to do an ifconfig down up on all four ports...
It looked very much like mbuf exahustion except that mbuf's were still
available according to what I was seeing. I guess there is a small
problem in the sf driver, but I didn't get around to trying to fix it.
(Device driver tweaking is not really my area of expertise...) If there
is interest I can try to dig up the old email in which I was describing
the problem... I don't think I posted it to this list at the time, it's
more likely I sent a private email to the driver's author. Then again,
these problems occured under 4.3 and 4.5, can't tell if this was fixed
in more recent revisions of the driver.

Best,
--
Nicolas Christin
Ph.D. Candidate, University of Virginia, Computer Science