Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 2000 07:40:53 +0100
From:      "Siegbert Baude" <Siegbert.Baude@gmx.de>
To:        "Andrej Brodnik (Andy)" <Andy@EffNet.Com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: IBM Thinkpad T20 rejects FreeBSD

Hi Andrej,

I didn´t follow this thread, so pardon if my answer answer is completely
useless. You´re trying to dual-boot WinXX and FreeBSD, but have problems
with the partition types, right?

> any  progress/solution regarding  this  problem? My  T20 doesn't  boot
> either if I label a partition  as FreeBSD partition (type 165). When I
> change the  type of  partition to 131  it works  again (unfortunatelly
> without FreeBSD booting).

To avoid a non-booting-system by using type 165, you could try a
boot-manager which implements partition-hiding (i.e. changing partition type
on the fly after having chosen the desired OS). Never was forced to use it
myself, but www.xosl.org claims to be able to do this. In fact I´m using
xosl as boot manager and it does a great job on all my OS including FreeBSD
and WinXX. You can download it including ranish partition-manager (a better
kind of fdisk). So boot into xosl, adjust your types with ranish as desired
and then configure in the xosl menu, which partitions should be hidden with
some OS.

Just a guess.

Ciao
Siegbert