Date:      Tue, 1 Jun 2004 23:53:27 -0500
From:      Anthony Philipp <philipp1@itg.uiuc.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   kernel panic and postfix problems

hello,
i am running a personal server and after nearly 26 days of uptime without any major problems last night at around ten pm. central time there was what i assume is a kernel panic. im running 5.2 RELEASE on a pentium 3 877 mhz.
heres the output: (hopefully this is accurate i had to write this out by hand, if someone knows how to get the orignal output that would be nice)

cpuid =0; apic id = 00
fault virtual address = 0x38
fault code = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer	= 0x8:0xc06bc08a
stack pointer		= 0x10:0xcb57098c
frame pointer		= 0x10:0xcb570a68
code segment		= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
			= DPL 0, pres1, dres321, gran1
processor eflags	= interrupt enabled, resume, 10pl=0
current process		= 27 (swi1:net)
trap number		= 12
panic page fault
cpuid=0;

syncing disks, buffers remaining... 1787 1787

and then it was crashed hard. i couldnt switch virtual terminals, i couldnt shut down, all i could do is press the power button. so thats my first problem, what happened? was it a kernel panic? or was it something different, and whatever it was, what caused it?

ok now onto the next problem. i was running my own mail server until recently as well, but i was getting beaten into the ground by spam. my /var/spool/postfix directory was 1.8 gigabytes. it was all spam i was bouncing from dynamic ips. none of it was getting to my accounts, but my server was getting clogged, since im running this off of adsl. im just wondering what i can do to stop this. the legitimate mail was not a problem at all. also this only started being a problem after a few weeks. as a temporary solution ive stopped postfix and deleted my entire spooled mail directory. however i would like a more permenant solution to these spammers attacking my server. right now postfix is bouncing all emails where the ips dont match the domain name.
well thanks for any and all help.
cya
anthony philipp