Date:      Sat, 24 Jun 1995 14:13:58 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        Network Coordinator <nc@ai.net>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as a router

>So the problem is how to get BSD to handle packets faster. And I guess my
>question still is, why can't we move some of the packet-handling and routing
>directly into the driver where it is a few layers closer to the actual
>hardware. Not really off loading, but giving the packet-handling code a
>chunk of the CPU time (probably as much as it needs) w/o being able to be
>squeezed out by other processes and such.

   If there is a way that can be found to do it in an architecturally clean
way, then we may very do this...but is may not be necessary. I haven't had a
chance to look carefully at where CPU is being spent when routing packets. On
of these days...

>There is a program called pc-route for DOS systems that supposedly is as
>fat-free as code can be [no branches in the assembly source, etc]. On a
>pentium with 2 100 mbps cards, I am wondering how fast it could move
>packets to give a theoretical packet/s maximum. Anyone have a
>configuration where they could try it?

   Last time I used pc-route, it crashed every 5-30 minutes. It's performance
wasn't so hot, either. I haven't looked at it in a year or so, so perhaps the
code has been improved. The main things that stick in my memory are that it was
a black box, difficult to configure, impossible to troubleshoot, and had a
broken RIP implementation.

-DG