Date:      Mon, 06 May 2002 16:54:29 -0700
From:      "Luke Downey" <gnawing_beaver@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   New to *nix, having some hiccups :-)

Alright, I'm totally new to FreeBSD (pfft, to any *nix environment for that
matter :-D), and I'm having a few problems that I'd like to work out.  I'll
appreciate any help anyone can give me, and I'm just glad that there's so
many people here to help out.

Anyway, down to the nit and grit...

1) I've got a Logitech USB iFeel mouse, and I'm not sure how to get it
working.  From the graphical XFree setup screen, none of the mouse protocols
work (not even the Logitech one), I have no idea how to get it working.
Basically a step-by-step is what I'm looking for on this one since I'm
dumbfounded by the new OS structure and everything ;-).

2) I've also got a Logitech USB iTouch keyboard, which does not want to work
in USB.  It's got a PS/2 plug which is what I've been using, but if I use
the USB plug it just won't work (I was just thinking of the USB Legacy
support in BIOS, but I think I have that on already, anyway I'll go check,
but even still I'd like to get it working natively).

3) FreeBSD does not support my NIC.  However, there is a Linux driver for
it, so I was wondering if it'd be possible (Linux binary compatibility help
here?) to use that driver.  It's the Linksys WMP11 wireless card.

4) I have a Radeon 8500 graphics card.  X doesn't support this yet, but I
was wondering if the Rage 128 driver (most current ATI driver listed) would
work well enough that I could at least get higher resolution and/or color
depth.

5) After I get X set up with a suitable video driver and get my mouse
working, how can I configure it to start automatically with a given window
manager after Logon?

6)

a. How can I customize the boot manager (it's listing Windows 2000 just as
"???" on the boot menu, just a little cosmetic thing here, not major :-D)
b. Can FreeBSD mount NTFS partitions (the aforementioned Windows 2000
partition)?

Again, thanks in advance, and if anything here is really obvious, just shoot
me ;-).