Date:      Fri, 29 Nov 1996 20:06:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      Cliff Addy <fbsdlist@revelstone.jvm.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD as a router

We're about to install a T-1 line into our office.  One option we'd like
to consider is to use a freebsd box as the router rather than a dedicated
box.  Cost is one consideration, but another is that if a component dies,
we're probably a lot more likely to be able to patch it back together.
However,

1) Performance.  Can a fbsd box match the performance of a dedicated
router?

2) Information.  There's a great attractiveness in a drop-in solution like a
dedicated router.  Where can we find the info on the
hardware/software/configuration required to build a router based on fbsd.

3) Growth.  We envision growth to the point of needing a dual T-1, then
stepping up to a T-3.  Can we grow with an fbsd box?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.