Date:      Thu, 3 Jun 1999 14:32:48 +0300
From:      Vallo Kallaste <vallo@matti.ee>
To:        Erik de Zeeuw <erik@univ-lehavre.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can't get BRIDGE working

On Wed, Jun 02, 1999 at 06:47:29PM +0200, Erik de Zeeuw <erik@univ-lehavre.fr> wrote:

> There's one thing that sounds funny. I grabbed PicoBSD, a nice
> little disk with a complete FreeBSD on it.
>
> And I just have to boot on the PicoBSD disk to have my bridge
> working ... It works just fine with either the ne2000 or the smc
> cards. That sounds like I'm missing something to get the bridge
> work out of my kernel compilation.
>
> May be I missed some details, so I ask people who have working
> FreeBSD bridges to give me some help on that subject :)
>
> Is there anything more to do than enabling BRIDGE in the kernel
> and using sysctl to make it work ? Do I use some bad versions ?
> Is there any magic to do ? :)

If the PicoBSD floppy works well, it must be something with card
drivers I guess.  What version of FreeBSD you use exactly? I have
strong feeling that the version you use doesn't have bridging support
for your card driver.  I'm using bridging from day-to-day under
-current system with fxp cards, but the -stable should work as well.
Does the card driver source include something like:

#include "opt_bdg.h"
#include "bdg.h"

I see that most netcard drivers under -current have the 'opt_bdg.h' line,
but if I remember it was 'bdg.h' some time ago. Even if the includes
are present I can't guarantee anything :-), but it's certainly worth of
checking. You can find the PCI card driver sources under
/usr/src/sys/pci and I'm almost sure that the file should be if_tx.c or
smthg.
--

Vallo Kallaste
vallo@matti.ee