Date:      Sat, 24 Aug 1996 19:13:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      hoek@freenet.hamilton.on.ca
To:        lannyb@cybertouch.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How does one get the modem to answer and...

In Email, "Lanny Baron" <lannyb@cybertouch.com> wrote:
>   Hello,
>
> Thanks for taking the time to read and reply to this question. I have
> one modem on a freebsd box to try to learn how to use freebsd. I
> don't know how to get the modem to answer a call.

Make sure you read the section in the handbook regarding this.

>  As well, is it possible if a caller is new to the Internet, freebsd can act
> like a BBS so that he/she can get our programs for dial up access.
> Our system for dial ups uses Windows NT and I intend to give people
> shell account via telnet for those who wish to use our FreeBSD box.

You want people to dial the FreeBSD box so that they can download the PPP
software to dial the NT box?  There is some BBS software in the ports
package.

If the only reason they'd dial the FreeBSD box is to download
the PPP software, then it probably wouldn't be outrageously difficult to
write something from scratch, even.

tIM...HOEk
The opinions expressed above are mine,
and if my employer shares them,