Date:      Mon, 1 Mar 1999 12:20:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Don Wilde <dwilde1@thuntek.net>
Cc:        "Robert A. Bruce" <rab@pike.cdrom.com>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The Linux PR firestorm disaster (w.r.t. FreeBSD)

So one thing the OpenBSD people have done is integrate ARLA; my bet is
that if we had integrated AFS support, that would be a great thing to
advertise, especially to the college-crowd, given that AFS is used fairly
widely at large academic institutions (for the obvious reason).  My
understanding is also that Arla runs significantly better under BSD than
under Linux: at least, every time I talk to Linux people around here, they
say "I tried that but it was really unstable" or the like.  I installed
Arla/XFS from their FTP site (not the port, that is out of date?) and it
worked out of the box.  I've run into four bugs since then, and they were
all fixed within a day.  Once this latest one is fixed, I would describe
Arla as being extremely stable (for single-realm use).  Comments such as
"Designed for large-scale distributed systems" (Kerberos, AFS in base
package) are sure to sell.

Now if only we had a more recent version of Kerberos in the base install
(a newer version of KTH, for example).

  Robert N Watson

PGP key fingerprint: 03 01 DD 8E 15 67 48 73  25 6D 10 FC EC 68 C1 1C

Carnegie Mellon University            http://www.cmu.edu/
TIS Labs at Network Associates, Inc.  http://www.tis.com/
SafePort Network Services             http://www.safeport.com/