Date:      Wed, 02 May 2001 00:47:29 +0800
From:      Shaun Dwyer <sldwyer@bigpond.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   bridging and link bonding with netgraph

Hi all,

As I regularly attend lan parties with plenty of people,
I thought that i'd give ng_bridge a go as opposed to the kernel
bridging.

The test box was a P200 with 64MB of ram,
network cards were:
2x Intel EtherExpress Pro/100B
1x SMC card with a DC21040 chipset
1x SMC card with a DEC/Intel 21143 chipset
2x SMC 80XX cards (isa)

It was running 4.2-stable (as of about two months ago).

Bridging worked fine, ie, i could ping from any host to any other
host, regardless of the segment it was on, however,
when everyone tried to play games on my dedicated server (seperate box),
ping times went to hell. We were seeing at best 50ms, and at worst
500ms.
The pings were not constant either, they went up and down all the time.
During this, we were only using 3 of the network cards (the 2 intels
,and the
DC21040 based card). I eventually took the bridge away, and just
connected everything up via a hub. ping times were as normal.

For configuring netgraph for bridging, i used the example script in
/usr/share/examples/netgraph/ether.bridge .

Is this to be expected when using netgraph for bridging? or is it
because of some piece of hardware i was using, or something else?
I dont think pocessor power was an issue, because it only peaked at
20% (from systat -vmstat).

Also, ive been hearing about the link bonding with netgraph using
ng_one2many. I was thinking of doing this at the next large lan I'm
going
to. I have 3 intel ether express Pro/100B cards in the box.
I was wondering if latency would become an issue as well, or if it
should
perform flawlessly?
The box I am thinking of using is a 417Mhz celeron with 128MB of ram.
I'll be using it as a game server, as well as an FTP+samba dump site.

Any suggestions for fixes, or predictions on what to expect
will be much appriciated.

Thanks,
Shaun