Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2000 23:04:47 +0100
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
To:        dan@freebsddiary.org
Cc:        "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OpenSSH 1.2.1 refusing incoming connections

Dan Langille wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.  I've tried the OpenBSD mailing lists, but Theo
> told me (privately) they cant help me as this is a FreeBSD issue.  I don't
> know how he concluded that.

Maybe he knows something we don't?

> I think the problem is that I ran ktrace as non-root.  I did run it as root
> and received about 277 KB of output.  I was about to supply a URL for
> that output, but someone on IRC mentioned it contained encrypted
> passwords.  Not a nice thing to publicly distribute.

That depends on ones perspective <g>. The only interesting bits would
be those errors that correlate to the one that prompted all this. Plus
the call's and parameters.

> I think I should do another ktrace. And edit the output.  I'll see what I
> can come up with.

We'll see. Hopefully there'll be a NAMI specifying the culprit.

> FWIW: on two boxes, both with FreeBSD 3.3-19991207-SNAP, one
> works, one doesn't with respect to sshd.  Go figure.

Two 3.4-STABLE's have no problem. Am in the process of configuring a
third. Both are barebone SSH installs, i.e. password driven.

Roelof

--
Get your Beerenburg @ http://www.omutens.com/