Date:      Wed, 23 Nov 2005 17:19:46 +0100
From:      Holger Kipp <hk@alogis.com>
To:        Vivek Khera <vivek@khera.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: boot menu change in 6.0?

On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 10:34:08AM -0500, Vivek Khera wrote:

> Last week, I installed from a 6.0-RELEASE cd onto a generic opteron
> box and I get the beastie menu (albeit beastie is replaced with a
> "FreeBSD" image).
>
> Thus, I am confused by this entry in the release notes.  Can anyone
> clarify which way the boot menu/prompt should be defaulted?

I have only noticed that beastie is replaced with "FreeBSD" in
default installation, but I am no expert regarding boot menu
changes. ;-)

Default behaviour afaik is to display "FreeBSD" - which you might
want to call a 'political correctness patch' (*), but this can be
changed - insert the following into your /boot/loader.conf:

loader_logo="beastie"
loader_color="YES"

to get the old beastie ascii-image back - and if required, even
in color.

Regards,
Holger Kipp

(*) I always wonder if people never understand the difference
    between demons (archfiends or beasts) and daemons (divine power,
    fate, or god). See also
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daemon_%28mythology%29