Date:      Sat, 6 Feb 1999 13:41:53 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Benjamin Greenwald <beng@lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Michael Robinson <robinson@netrinsics.com>, jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Naming branches

On Sat, 6 Feb 1999, Benjamin Greenwald wrote:

> By calling the branch -stable, whether we intend to or not, we are making a
> statement about both the robustness of the code and the ease of use.

The real meaning of "stable" is that the code base doesn't go
through dramatic changes over time.  Hopefully robustness of code
follows from this because the fixing of existing bugs outpaces
the introduction of new bugs.

The actual robustness of the code is more a function of the minor
release number than whether or not it is labeled "stable" or not.
The major number is more an indication of cool features.

I'm not sure how this could best be clarified to users.

-john