Date:      Sat, 07 Apr 2007 14:54:37 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        ceri@submonkey.net
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org, pjd@freebsd.org, kris@obsecurity.org
Subject:   Re: Host ID.

In message: <20070407203524.GM90410@submonkey.net>
            Ceri Davies <ceri@submonkey.net> writes:
: On Sat, Apr 07, 2007 at 04:31:30PM -0400, Kris Kennaway wrote:
: > On Sat, Apr 07, 2007 at 09:28:46PM +0100, Ceri Davies wrote:
: > > On Sat, Apr 07, 2007 at 05:21:25PM +0200, Julien Gabel wrote:
: > > > >There's even a business [1] selling software to change
: > > > >Solaris hostid for ?49. Should I squat freebsdhostid.com? :)
: > > > >
: > > > >[1] http://www.solarishostid.com/
: > > >
: > > > For free, you generally can fake it by rewriting the gethostid
: > > > function along with the use
: > > > of ${LD_PRELOAD}; or use DTrace if using a Solaris 10 system :)
: > >
: > > While thinking along these lines, what will we do on sparc64 systems,
: > > which will generally print a hostid on the console at boot time which
: > > will be significantly different to the one that we'll be presenting
: > > within FreeBSD on those systems?
: > >
: > > I suspect that this is just a documentation issue, but it would be
: > > somewhat confusing.
: >
: > Presumably on systems that have a real host id we can just use that :)
:
: I thought that, but then Pawwel said he'd like it to work the same
: across all systems; quite what that means is where the rub lies :)

I'm still of the opinion that using the real one and falling back if
that isn't available is consistant with other places we use the real
thing, and fake it if we can't get to the real thing.  It also,
technically speaking, is the same on all systems...

Warner