Date:      Fri, 2 Aug 2002 10:55:23 -0700
From:      Shannon -jj Behrens <jj@nttmcl.com>
To:        Brad Laue <brad@brad-x.com>, Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Mark.Andrews@isc.org
Subject:   Re: glib12 port build failure in -stable (update)

> > I hate to go on a rant, but -STABLE broke three times yesterday, too -
> > this is -STABLE, why is this happening all of a sudden? I'm supposed to
> > be able to put implicit faith in it!
> >
> > I don't think there should be much room for error in the -STABLE branch;
> > too much is riding on it. Four hours of troubleshooting an apache server
> > which was down for the count. What is it they say about time being money?
> >
> > Anyway, enough of me flaming, I'm just a little surprised, is all.
>
> 	Please go read the stable archives.  This topic has been covered
> 	*many* times.

Just to save everyone some time, here is a quote from the handbook:

	This is still a development branch, however, and this means that at any
	given time, the sources for FreeBSD-STABLE may or may not be suitable
	for any particular purpose. It is simply another engineering
	development track, not a resource for end-users.

	For these reasons, we do not recommend that you blindly track
	FreeBSD-STABLE, and it is particularly important that you do not update
	any production servers to FreeBSD-STABLE without first thoroughly
	testing the code in your development environment.

	If you do not have the resources to do this then we recommend that you
	run the most recent release of FreeBSD, and use the binary update
	mechanism to move from release to release.

	<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/current-stable.html>;

Best Regards,
-jj

--
o*s*o*pho*bi*a n. A common fear among embedded systems programmers.