Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 2006 11:08:39 -0400
From:      "Marius Rex" <marius@communityconnect.com>
To:        <jpn@doom.fi>, <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Problems with OpenVPN+routing and creating tun0 interface

V=E1clav Haisman wrote:
> Hi,
> I want to set up OpenVPN to create and configure tun0 interface and
> connect to OpenVPN server. The main obstacle seems to be my inability =
> configure either OpenVPN or FreeBSD to actually create that tun0 =
interface.

> If I try to create it manually I get this:
>
> $ ifconfig -v tun create inet 192.168.23.203 192.168.23.1
> ifconfig: SIOCIFCREATE: Invalid argument
>
> The kernel config has the "device tun" line and there are tun[0-3] in =
/dev.

> So what am I doing wrong?
>
> --
> Vaclav Haisman

I set up a new OpenVPN instance  last week on FreeBSD 5.4-stable.  The =
tun0 device was auto-created by OpenVPN when I ran the init script.  (Of =
course it was in my kernel config first.)  I just have 'dev tun' in my =
OpenVPN configuration file.
=20
To me, the funny thing is that I am running it on an older FreeBSD box =
because the Red Hat Enterprise 4 server I was given would not create a =
tun device whatever I did.  Just like you I could not create it by hand =
or have OpenVPN do it.  The OpenVPN server instance on the other side is =
a RHE4, and it worked automagically with no effort.  I used the same =
software to install it on both RHE instances, so it is all a bit fishy.  =
     =20
=20
Marius M. Rex
Sr. System Admin