Date:      Mon, 1 Feb 1999 16:35:06 +0200
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>
To:        FreeBSD Stable <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Step-by-step 2.2.8 -> 3.0-STABLE transition instructions

Hi!

Here I would like to describe the step-by-step 2.2.8
to 3.0-STABLE transition process I did last Saturday.

1. Backup your system!!!

   Use whatever backup method you want.  As for me, I just plugged
   a cheap (???) 3Gb IDE disk in and copied the contents of all my
   partitions onto it.  Also, I've made it bootable.

   You may find the following tutorial helpful at this step:

   http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/diskformat/diskformat.html

2. Fetch the sources for 3.0-STABLE and put them into /usr/src.

   If you have a local CVS repository, just upgrade the sources
   from it:

   # cd /usr/src
   # cvs -q update -P -d -rRELENG_3

3. Recompile the sources.

   # cd /usr/src
   # make aout-to-elf-build

   This will:
   a) build an aout world in the /usr/obj/aout directory.
   b) build an ELF world in the /usr/obj/elf, using just built
      aout tools from the step a).

   During step b) you may notice the following messages:

   `ELF interpreter /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1 not found'

   You can safely ignore them.
   Step 3 WILL NOT touch your system in any way.

4. Reboot into single-user mode.

5. Upgrade your system.

   # cd /usr/src
   # make aout-to-elf-install

   This will:
   a) ask you:
      Which config file do you wish to use? [GENERIC] _

      Just press <Enter>, and it will build GENERIC kernel
      later, which is sufficient in most cases.

   b) ask you:
      What is your boot device (e.g. wd0 or sd0)? [sd0] _

      If your boot drive is SCSI disk, say, sd0, answer sd0,
      don't tell it da0 now!!!

   c) move aout libraries into aout subdir of each library directory.
      For example, all a.out libs from /usr/lib will be in /usr/lib/aout.

      At this step the upgrade may fail with the message:

      `ldconfig: /usr/local/lib/aout: No such file or directory'

      If this happens for you, just do:
      # mkdir -p /usr/local/lib/aout

      Then restart install process:
      # cd /usr/src
      # make aout-to-elf-install

WARNING!!! Don't interrupt the upgrade process after this
           step, or you'll leave your system in unusable state.

   d) install aout world on your system

   e) install ELF world on your system

   f) install new boot blocks on your boot drive

   g) build and install ELF kernel you've choosen in step a),
      and install it on your boot drive

   h) set the default object format to ELF

   i) ask you to reboot the system

6. Boot into single-user mode.

7. Update your /etc and /dev.

   This is something you have to do by hand, eyeball, and judicious use
   of the diff command.

   You may find the following tutorial very helpful at this step:

   http://www.nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk/FreeBSD/make-world/make-world.html

   Read sections `Update /etc' and `Update /dev' of this document.

   Also, pay a special attention to the contents of your /etc/group and
   /etc/master.passwd.  FreeBSD-3.0 introduces 3 new system uids - `kmem',
   `tty' and `bind', and new group `bind'.  These can be used to run
   certain services in a sandbox mode.  Consult security(7) manpage later.

   After you've successfully updated your /dev, you may want to rename sd0
   to da0 in your /etc/fstab.  Don't forget to do:

   # cd /dev
   # sh MAKEDEV da0s1a

8. Your system is now fully updated to run elf.

9. Reboot into muti-user mode.

10. [Optional] Recompile your ports in ELF.

11. [Optional] Recompile your own programs.

12. Delete /usr/obj

P.S. Use at your own risk!!!
     This procedure is based only on my own experience of upgrading two
     (2.2.8-RELEASE and 2.2.8-STABLE) machines to 3.0-STABLE.

Regards,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA of the
ru@ucb.crimea.ua	United Commercial Bank