Date:      Wed, 19 Nov 1997 17:37:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Adrian T. Filipi-Martin" <atf3r@cs.virginia.edu>
To:        FreeBSD Questions List <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   2.2.5-RELEASE panicing frequently

Hi folks,

	I just upgraded my box to 2.2.5 a few days ago.  It was running
quite happily as a 2.2.2-STABLE box, but now it panics pretty easily.  It
even paniced during the install several times.

	To get the OS installed I removed all but 16M of the RAM
thinking it might be a problem related to the mysterious 48M install
preoblem I hard about on previous releases.  This did work.  I have since
reinstalled the RAM and, well the panics are back.  I am doubtful that my
memory went bad during an install.  It would be an odd coincidence, so I
am suspecting some other bug is at play here.

	One time during an install panic, I got the following message:

	vm_page_free: pindex(-260407040), busy(0), PG_BUSY(0), hold(6)

	I cannot say what the full panic message is because I was on a
vty1, not vty0.  The machine always reboots before I can see the panic
message, so I recompiled it with the DDB_UNATENDED option.  (I believe
this is the correct option to get the system not to reboot
automatically after a panic.)

	Well, the new kernel will not boot fully.  It hangs when trying to
access my second SCSI controller, a BT 747S.  The system doesn't panic,
but I cannot go multi-user without the second SCSI card, so I need to
reboot the original kernel.  Oddly enough the BT driver prints out
messagesa about the BT742A not responding.

	Does anyone have any suggestions?  The BT747S is a recent
addition to my system, but noe of the error messages point to it being a
problem until I add the SSB option to the kernel.  This ideally should
not affect the success/failure rates for booting.

	FYI, so far the only thing I have tried in terms of kernel
customization was to remove the bounce buffers options.  This didn't help
with the panics.  I will try a fully customized kernel shortly.  I still
have unconfigured devices installed.

thanks,

	Adrian
--
adrian@virginia.edu        ---->>>>| If I were stranded on a desert island, and
System Administrator         --->>>| I could only have one OS for my computer,