Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 2000 21:56:33 -0600
From:      Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        "Adam Fladwood" <adam@wiredrave.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail -or- Qmail?

On Tue, 24 Oct 2000 17:36:10 -0500  "Adam Fladwood" wrote:
 +------------------
 | I've been trying to figure out what I should do...  I'm the systems admin
 | for an ISP that has a prettt steady flow of Mail.  However sendmail seems to
 | be to much for me to handle as far as setting up certain rules and stuff.  I
 | mean I have the sendmail book, but hell, that doesn't help a whole lot w/
 | the rules - I don't have time to sit and read it.
 |
 | I've heard qmail is easier to configure and I've also heard it's faster...
 | is this true?  What does everyone else use/recommend?
 +------------------

Sendmail is the venerable, mature system of the bunch.  It has a
bit of legacy from when email was much more complex than it is
today. That flexibility remains available but tends not to get in
the way.  Read up on the .mc files that are used to generate the
configuration.  These days one or another of the default .mc files
will work for a very large cross section of systems.

Sendmail was already very fast for moderate to large amounts of mail but
with some of the enhancements since 8.10 it is capable of handling huge
volumes of mail.

It seems that most people choose one of the three that you mention
then stick to that.  I'll be interested to hear what you choose.

chris

--
    Chris Fedde