Date:      Sat, 06 Jan 2001 23:36:38 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD advocacy list <FreeBSD-advocacy@FreeBSD.org>, OpenBSD-advocacy@openbsd.org
Subject:   Re: TwoCows articles on BSD (was: Someone please flame TwoCows)

Greg Lehey wrote:
%
% This came from the NetBSD advocacy list.  There are articles on all
% three BSDs there, with some factual errors (the biggest one I saw was
% that they claim all three systems have a GPL licence).  On the other
% hand, it's intended to be positive, and we shouldn't follow Hubert's
% lead and flame the author.  Instead, it would be nice if as many
% people as possible sent him messages correcting factual errors (but
% without saying "My BSD is better than his BSD").

Flaming is not likely to help much.  Patiently and politely explaining
might.  My response, typed terribly into their itty-bitty response box:

> NetBSD, OpenBSD, FreeBSD under GPL?  Heaven forbid!
> Just to avoid confusion, I'll paste in the license
> from this FreeBSD system:
>
>  * Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1988, 1990, 1993
>  *      The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.
>  *
>  * Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
>  * modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
>  * are met:
>  * 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
>  *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
>  * 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
>  *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
>  *    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
>  * 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
>  *    must display the following acknowledgement:
>  *      This product includes software developed by the University of
>  *      California, Berkeley and its contributors.
>  * 4. Neither the name of the University nor the names of its contributors
>  *    may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software
>  *    without specific prior written permission.
>  *
>  * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE REGENTS AND CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS'' AND
>  * ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
>  * IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
>  * ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE REGENTS OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE
>  * FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
>  * DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS
>  * OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
>  * HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT
>  * LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY
>  * OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
>  * SUCH DAMAGE.
>
> Sure enough, nothing in there about "you must
> give away everything you work on," "this license
> virally attaches itself to every piece of software
> in comes on contact with," or any other GPL-like
> clauses.  Must not be the GPL.
>
> This is often know as a "Berkeley" license, and it
> allows you to do with the software as you choose.
> Kirk McKusick, the keeper of the flame at UC Berkeley
> these days, refers to it as the "copycenter" as in
> "take it down to the copycenter and make as many
> copies as you wish.
>
> Thanks for noticing, and please don't hesitate to ask
> if you need clarification on points like this in the
> future.  Feel free to consult one or more of the
> following mailing lists (in alphabetical order):
>
> 	freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
> 	netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org
> 	advocacy@openbsd.org

> [...]

If someone else would like to point the author at a web article or two
explaining the difference between the GPL and Berkeley licenses, and
another point him to the "Open Source" acceptance of the 2-clause
license, perhaps we'll have him gently educated.