Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 23:16:40 +0200
From:      "Marc Schneiders" <marc@oldserver.demon.nl>
To:        "Greg Black" <gjb-freebsd@gba.oz.au>, "Doug White" <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        "Donald Burr" <dburr@Powered-By.AC>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "FreeBSD Security" <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: umountall requests - what does this all mean?

Greg Black <gjb-freebsd@gba.oz.au> writes:

> Doug White writes:
>
> > > Aug  7 19:04:49 60-Hz mountd[150]: umountall request from
207.71.226.193 from unprivileged port

> > > 207.71.226.193 is the IP addressed assigned to me by my ADSL provider,
so
> > > I can only assume that these packets are coming in through the ADSL
modem.

> > > What do these messages mean, and should I be worried about them?  And
how
> > > do I block them?
> >
> > What IP is 60-Hz?
> >
> > It's probably another machine trying to dismount partitions and mountd
> > doesn't recognize it.  Probably harmless.
>
> I got some similar messages on a 3.2 box a couple of days ago.
> At the time it was connected only to my home LAN and no machines
> outside of my office were physically connected to the LAN for
> some hours before or after the messages appeared.  I was doing
> some NFS mounts to that box, but there was no genuine umount
> request at the time the message appeared.  In fact, now that I
> check the log, the IP that the alleged request came from was the
> IP of the host that complained -- there was no umount ever done
> on the box that day.
[...]
I get the message in the following circumstances: I kill mountd on another
NFS-server *through telnet*.(It happens to be running OpenBSD.) The FreeBSD
box (4.0 snapshot 4 July), also configured as an NFS-server (because I use
it for src/CVSUP for another FreeBSD, dual PPro, machine), gives the
complaint mentioned in the subject, blaming itself for the request.
Apparently it listens to this request telnetted to another NFS-host on some
(unpriviliged) port and finds it worthwile to tell us. Is this a bug or a
stupid user who misconfigured his LAN?

Marc Schneiders
marc@oldserver.demon.nl