Date:      Mon, 3 May 1999 16:16:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>, Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>, grog@lemis.com, ks@hirvi.net, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD 3.1 on a Multia box

On Mon, 3 May 1999, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > I like the idea ... but I sure wish WC felt it was time to fork off a
> > ports cd too (I want to be the first subscriber).
>
> This is the essential idea behind the new toolkit, though we can't
> just punt the basic bits off the usual product or people will scream.
> I expect the standard product to always contain at least a subset of
> "most popular" packages and the toolkit to evolve into a 6 CD set
> containing everything else.  This first toolkit CD was more of a
> grab-bag since also came out at a time when releasing snapshots for
> 2.2, 3.1 and 4.0 branches seemed like a reasonable thing to do.
>
> That won't be the case for the next one since 2.2 will be dead even to
> our most conservative customers by the time 3.5 comes out (that's
> always a good time to make the switch, as past experience has shown)
> and the snapshot CDs will be back in business, rendering the 4.0
> snapshots inappropriate for the toolkit CD. That just leaves the
> mainstream (3.x) product's overflow packages and an unpacked CVS repo,
> something which is useful to developers but too big for the standard
> product.  I'm open to other ideas as well. :)

How big, in CDs, would a product that had all ports, packages and
distfiles be?  Including the XFree86 stuff.

Let me admit here, I'm not sure what you meant above.  Marketing always
confuses me, and the stuff above did a fine job of that.  I'm asking
this, hoping either you'll explain why it was a dumb question, or maybe
the stuff above WAS confusing, and this question will straighten me out.

Maybe you feel you always need to have at least one FreeBSD collection
packed in?  Is that what you meant?

> - Jordan

chuckr@picnic.mat.net       | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).