Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2006 19:08:16 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Rob <europa100@comcast.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lpr errors- using /dev/ulpt0

At 3:59 PM -0800 3/21/06, Rob wrote:

>"lpc status lp" command reports that it is up, a job is
>spooled, and the printer is idle but nothing comes out.
>
>I am finding the following ... in /var/log/lpd.errs:
>
>lp: unable to open dfA000xenon ('f' line)
>lp: job could not be printed (cfA000xenon)
>
>xenon is the name of my computer.  I am wondering if
>this is another problem with my hosts file?

Hmm.  Not sure.  It might be.

If you have a job sitting in the queue, then go into
the spool directory for that printer (the 'sd=' value
in your /etc/printcap entry).  You should see one
filename starting with 'cfA', and at least one more,
which starts with 'dfA'.

See what lines are in the control file.  Chances
are pretty good you have a line:

fdfA000xenon

So the question is whether 'dfA000xenon' is another
file in that directory.