Date:      Wed, 11 Dec 2013 09:35:43 +0100
From:      Florent Peterschmitt <florent@peterschmitt.fr>
To:        Artem Belevich <art@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>, freebsd-stable stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 10.0-BETA4 (upgraded from 9.2-RELEASE) zpool upgrade -> boot failure

--QJjVIRsmoaTfXDbsaniT21MCbII5nGrWS

Le 11/12/2013 09:26, Florent Peterschmitt a =E9crit :
> Le 11/12/2013 02:07, Artem Belevich a =E9crit :
>> On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 2:22 AM, Florent Peterschmitt
>> <florent@peterschmitt.fr> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Is there anything known about ZFS under 10.0-BETA4 when FreeBSD was
>>> upgraded from 9.2-RELEASE?
>>>
>>> I have two servers, with very different hardware (on is with soft rai=
>>> and the other have not) and after a zpool upgrade, no way to get the
>>> server booting.
>>
>> It may help if you could provide details on how exactly "no way to get=

>> the system booting" manifests itself.
>> Serial console capture of a failed boot would be a good start.
>>
>> Did it get to the loader?
>> Did the loader manage to read loader.conf and load kernel and modules?=

>> Did the kernel start?
>> Did the kernel manage to mount root FS?
>>
>> --Artem
>>
>=20
> No, there is no module loading, no more than the kernel load. I had an
> error like "no fs recognized", then it is stuck with the interactive
> minimal boot loader (which name is "loader", correct?). The only thing =
> can do is to reboot the computer.
>=20
> In rescue (9.2-RELEASE) I can import the zpool without problem, then us=
> the gpart inside the 10.0-BETA4 (on the remaining problematic server it=

> is a BETA4) and rewrite the bootcode. No changes.
>=20
> This week-end I may be able to get a vKVM. It's a low-cost server and
> there are no other way to repair the system than a rescue.
>=20
> Also, can it be a problem from the BIOS? To old to boot from a GPT
> "formated disk" (sorry I don't know much about disks and BIOS)? It woul=
> be possible only if some changes were brought into the bootcode.
>=20
> But maybe the problem isn't here, it can be from the zpool itself.
>=20
> Also like a said on -stable, I *cannot* reproduce the problem in a VM:
>=20
> * Installing 9.2-RELEASE from scratch like I made for the server.
> * Binary upgrade to 10.0-BETA4 (install kernel, reboot, install
> userland, rebuild ports, install last parts of userland)
> * zpool upgrade tank

Forgotten -just in the mail- the gpart bootcode step, which I made.

> * reboot
> * It's all fine.
>=20

--=20
Florent Peterschmitt           | Please:
florent@peterschmitt.fr        |  * Avoid HTML/RTF in E-mail.
+33 (0)6 64 33 97 92           |  * Send PDF for documents.
http://florent.peterschmitt.fr |  * Trim your quotations. Really.
Proudly powered by Open Source | Thank you :)