Date:      Fri, 22 Nov 1996 20:49:17 +0100 (MET)
From:      sos@FreeBSD.org
To:        mark@quickweb.com (Mark Mayo)
Cc:        sos@FreeBSD.org, p.richards@elsevier.co.uk, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ATAPI (was: Who needs Perl? We do!)

> Okay, I'll send you a couple IDE CDROM drives -- I emailed you during your
> original offer about the brands I have, but you didn't indicate which
> models you were interested in. I have a Creative Labs 4X, a PIONEER 4X,
> and a Funai 4X that I'm willing to part with. One thing though, if I

Well, I havn't seen any problem reports for those exact models, do
they work for you ?? If they work, they are not ultimately nessesary
at the current time, but of cause they will be handy to have when
it comes to checking out new patches etc etc...

> remember correctly you're in Europe S'ren, correct? Where exactly, cause
> it might be more expensive to send the drives than to just send you some
> cash to buy new units.. how much do 4X ATAPI CDROMs cost where you are?

I'm In Vendsyssel :)
Well, for the "uninformed" this is in north of Denmark :)
(finger sos@freebsd.org gives details)

> I'm only a 21 year old univeristy student with a very low budget, but
> nothing irrates me more than having to recomend Linux to friends instead
> of FreeBSD because they have IDE CDROMs.... hence, I'll empty my pocket to
> help out. I also think it would really SUCK to release 2.2 without even
> slightly improved ATAPI support; Reality check: _ALL_ PC's sold these days
> ship with ATAPI CDROM drives.....

I can agree with that, if more of our users had this attitude, we would
be ALOT better off, thanks alot for the offer !!

> Also, I'll be coming over to France for Christmas (my girlfriend is
> French) - if you're close by I can hand deliver the drives to you, it
> would probably by cheaper than sending them through Canada Post.

Well, France is some ~2000 Miles away from here :), but if you get
them with you to France, it will certainly be cheaper to ship them
from there, and possibly easier with customs since both France and
Denmark are EC members..

Søren Schmidt               (sos@FreeBSD.org)               FreeBSD Core Team
                Even more code to hack -- will it ever end
..