Date:      Wed, 31 Mar 2004 08:48:30 -0600
From:      Stephen Hurd <shurd@sasktel.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netatalk: macs cannot see the bsd server

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 01:09:24 -0500
Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 23:50, Palle Girgensohn wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > i have a problem that I cannot quite understand: With netatalk running on a
> > FreeBSD server, my Macs cannot see the server. AFP over IP works fine, but
> > I have to enter the IP-address manually.
> >
> > I tried with and without slpd (with default setting). nbplkup on the server
> > only gives the BSD machine, no Mac.
> >
> > The Mac is quite old, runs 8.6. Does this have anything to do with it?
> >
> > Any ideas how this should be configured to work?
>
> You'll really want to be running 9.2 on the Macs.  For SLP to work, slpd
> will have to start before afpd, and you'll have to have netatalk built
> with SLP support.  However, with 8.6, this won't buy you anything.  With
> 8.6, you must be running atalkd, and have AppleTalk properly configured
> in your kernel for the BSD server to show up in the Chooser.

I've ran it successfully with systems as old as 7.5.5 using the
netatalk.sh.<mutter> rc script that installs in /usr/local/etc/rc.d

I do recall that I tried rolling my own at onw time which DIDN'T work.
The default netatalk.sh gives a hint as to why this is at the start:

# AppleTalk daemons. Make sure not to start atalkd in the background:
# its data structures must have time to stablize before running the
# other processes.