Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 1995 10:22:28 -0400
From:      "Garrett A. Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Mike Pritchard <mpp@mpp.minn.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   xntpd vs. ntpdate

<<On Mon, 18 Sep 1995 05:37:58 -0500 (CDT), Mike Pritchard <mpp@mpp.minn.net> said:

> Is there a simple way for me to tell xntpd to try and contact the
> time servers again without any manual intervention or killing and
> restarting it?   Or is this just a "bug" in xntpd that needs to be
> fixed (most likely)?  I'm willing to try to fix it if it is.

That is the design of xntpd.  If you set up the appropriate
authentication mechanism, you can use xntpdc(8) to manually
reconfigure the daemon, but it's not an easy process.  You might also
hack the xntpd internal resolver to continually retry DNS lookups in
the case of a temporary failure (h_errno == SERVFAIL || h_errno ==
TRYAGAIN).  (But keep in mind that gethostbyname() doesn't set h_errno
for NIS and /etc/hosts lookups, or didn't last I looked.)

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.