Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 14:56:03 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        <freebsd-smp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   IOPs ... what exactly are they?

Searching google isn't coming up with anything that explains it ... can
someone point me to some docs, or provide an explanation?

For instance, Tom stated that the 170 does 4000IOPs, vs the 352 at
7000IOPs ... yet, the 352 will do twice the sustained transferof the 170
(200MB/s vs 100MB/s) ... so, IOPs don't == transfer speed ...

And, I imagine (can't get to the Mylex web site right now for some
reason), the 2000 has an even higher rating then both of those ...

So, when evaluating what one needs, how do you determine?  are there
thresholds one can work with?  4000IOPs will comfortably handle n xgig
drives, but if you go above n, then you really need to jump to the 7k IOP
level else performance drops substantially?

We're looking at this for a database server, so will most likely be going
to the 64MB cache level automatically ... but beyond that, I'm virtually
uneducated :(

Systems Administrator @ hub.org