Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 96 10:59:01 +0100
From:      Lars Gerhard Kuehl <lars@elbe.desy.de>
To:        lehey.pad@sni.de
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Althochdeutsch (was: cvs commit: ports/editors/bpatch/pkg COMMENT)

> Recall, of course, that "Hochdeutsch" was originally a geographical
> distinction, not an opinion of quality.  Niederdeutsch is alive and
> well and living in the low countries (again, not an opinion of
> quality).

Of course Niederdeutsch is alive even like Oberdeutsch. Hochdeutsch is
mostly the merger of niederdeutscher vowels with oberdeutscher consonants.

> language.  Why 94 years, anyway?  I thought my old Duden was over 100
> years old.

In 1902 and 1904 the rules of merging were officially defined (by appointment
of Wilhelm II). Of course the idea was older and dates back the first
half of the 19th century.

Lars