Date:      Tue, 7 Nov 2000 16:12:11 -0500
From:      "John Bolster" <j.bol@gte.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   problem with passwords file

On FreeBSD 4.1 I tried to run adduser on root to try and get rid of the
'Charlie &' and now adduser says:

pwd:mkdb: root uid should be 0
pwd:mkdb: at line #20
pwd:mkdb: /etc/pw.gXb228: Inappropriate file type or format

and it refuses to let me change root password or add any users.

Everything else is still working OK- I can log in just fine.

Does you know what I can do to fix or rebuild whatever has
been damaged? (and what I shouldn't do again?)

Thanks in advance,
John Bolster