Date:      Wed, 21 Jul 1999 00:29:33 -0400
From:      Dutch Collins <dutch@charm.net>
To:        bsd-questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   A sys admin Q - and misc 3.2-R Q's

Hardware: 486-100mhz, 1gig IDE  pri master-1/2 win 1/2 bsd,
                      44meg pri slave, 4x CD secondary master
                      3" floppy, 5" floppy
          diamond speedstar 64 2000 - 1meg (for now) video
          zoom fax/modem 56k, serial mouse, 101 keyboard
          no sound (don't like noisy computers)
          America Megatrends ROM (never a problem, yet)

There, just a plain 'ol computer. It is not used for anything
important, the IDE drive wd0s2 is a little flaky, so it is used for
"what happens it I do this" kind of stuff. When I say IDE is a little
flaky I mean the drive has bad sectors, the interface is 100%.

Here is the odd thing that happened: win95 and bsd and the MB ROM
forgot the other drive, wd1 (all dos = D:) after I did a reboot from
root. I think forgetfulness could be related to me crashing X-KDE
while SU. I have been rebooting out of bsd to win95 and back again
a few times. No reason except there is a win program I like to use.

SO:
Cold started and went into the MB ROM. Tried the 'auto detect'
option - no drive. Ok, manual edit time - that worked, the MB ROM took
the drive spec.. Start continues and guess what, win95 starts building
a new hardware database and makes the drive E:, and the CDROM D:.
I don't care the drive is ok. I have filed this under - "weird stuff"
and can't reproduce it. End of essay. If it sounds like something that
has happened to someone cool, if not; maybe I can reproduce it.

Now the sysadmin question that is the real reason I am using
bandwidth.

1) If I delete /var/log/wtmp and create an empty file of same name,
   will login get real mad? The same for the other login & logout
   log files.

2) Why when running X86-KDE can I not alt-F1 to ttyv0 even if my group
   is 'user', not root on say, ttyv1? A thought is, that's life, plug
   in a serial terminal and make that 'console'

thanks, sorry about the rant, but weird can be funny.
-d

--
| Voice Line: 410.922.5805                             |