Date:      Wed, 25 Mar 1998 13:30:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@video-collage.com>
To:        misc@openbsd.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Using FreeBSD to install for SparcStation

Hello!

I'm facing the following challenge. Inventory:

	* SparcStation 1 with (circa 1989) with :
		dead system disk
		working floppy drive
	  sitting in a remote location
	* Functional FreeBSD-current system with SCSI and _fast_
	  (cable-modem) net connection
	* Clean (used in windoze) 1G SCSI disk (from DEC)
	* unlimited supply of floppies

Ideally, I'd like to download all the neccessary pieces to the
FreeBSD host, set up this disk with the entire OpenBSD-2.2/Sparc
on it, make it bootable by the SparcStation. Then -- drive to the
"remote location", plug the disk into the SparcStation and see it
booting.

Depending on how carefull I am with my SCSI buses, I will not need
to reboot the FreeBSD host.

Unfortunately, AFAIK, FFS is different on different architectures,
and I will not be able to use newfs on FreeBSD to create a filesystem
usable by OpenBSD/Sparc.

Can I use FreeBSD's disklabel to split the disk into a 32Mb b-part
and a huge c-part (how?)? Can I then ``dd'' the tar-balls to it,
boot from floppy(ies) and use the /dev/rsd0b instead of /dev/nrst0
? After the succesfull install, I'll use the b-part as swap...

Any other ideas? See, I'm trying to utilize the fast connection of the
FreeBSD host, while minimizing the number of times I have to drive from
one machine to another :)

Thanks in advance for any hints! Yours,

	-mi