Date:      Fri, 17 Nov 1995 09:07:27 -0800
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Proposal 1: category name changes

Hello ports world.

I would like to propose that all the category names for packages be
changed to match those of subdirectories (e.g., "networking" ->
"net").  You won't believe how many times I had to go delete the
"utils" or "net" or "emulators" subdirectory in the packages dir.

This is just too confusing, and also very easy to screw up and hard to
catch.  Most of the times, I find it when I am just casually cd'ing
around (my "cd" does "ls" too), and say "hey, what's that `emulators'
doing next to `emulation'?"....

This is by far the worst offender of the principle of least surprise
when it comes for a new porter to prepare her first port.  According
to my memory, 57.9% of the new porters made this mistake (or something
like that).

Comments?  If this is okay, I'll go fix all the CATEGORIES lines
before we start building packages for -current again.

Satoshi

P.S. This is just "standardizing" ... more name changes/division
     proposals will follow (e.g., "net" -> "net" & "www"), so please
     don't bring that up yet.  I'll be away for the weekend.