Date:      Sun, 5 Oct 1997 16:05:17 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@shell.futuresouth.com>
To:        Nick Popoff <saruman@interlog.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BootManager Question

On Sun, 5 Oct 1997, Nick Popoff wrote:

> I'm trying to use the BootManager but I don't think I'm configuring it
> correctly.  I've successfully installed FreeBSD 2.2.2 onto the D drive of
> my computer.  Win95 is on the C drive.
>
> During the installation, first it asks what drive I'm installing on.  I
> select wd2 (D), and then tell it to use the whole drive.  Next it asks if
> I want to use the BootManager, and I say yes.  It again asks what drive to
> use, and I can't figure out which drive to select.
>
> If I select wd0 (C), thinking I'm telling it to put the BootManager on my
> primary drive, the next screen tries to partition my C drive.  Eep.
>
> If I select wd2 (D), assuming that FreeBSD knew where the BootManager goes
> and is just asking again where to install, everything goes fine.  However,
> when I restart, it just boots into Win95 as usual and I have to manually
> boot FreeBSD using the install disk.
Here's the situation.  The boot manager kinda has to be on the first
drive; that way, it's loaded when you boot up.  If it's just on the second
drive, it doesn't do anything because that's not checked on bootup.
So, you need to select wd0, jsut type q for the partitioning, then say
install bootmanager.  This installs the bootmanager, but leaves the
partitions alone.  Then, go into wd2, setup your partition, hen tell it to
install the bootmanager.  I don't think you have to have the bootmanager
on the second drive, but better safe than sorry  ;)
However, I think you might have to compile a custom kernel to get it to
boot off of the second drive, also.  Of course, I could be wrong.

> Clues much appreciated. :)
>
> -Nick

|  FreeBSD; the way computers were meant to be    |
*    FreeBSD: turning PCs into workstations       *
| Windows: turning workstations into typewriters  |
* fullermd@futuresouth.com   :-}  MAtthew Fuller  *
|   http://keystone.westminster.edu/~fullermd     |