Date:      Tue, 09 Oct 2001 01:26:06 -0700
From:      "Christopher R. Maden" <crism@maden.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installing 4.4-RELEASE on a Compaq Deskpro

I can't seem to make it boot from the kernel floppy.

I successfully installed 2.2 on a home computer about four years ago, and
it was very easy.  Now I'm trying to get my business away from using
Windows, and I'm having trouble.

The computer is a Compaq Deskpro with a Pentium II.  It will boot from a
Windows 98 floppy (made with format /s), so it can definitely boot from the
floppy drive.  However, I've tried to recreate the kern.flp floppy a
half-dozen times, and no luck.  The computer either skips past it, or if
forced to boot only from floppy, gives the famous "Non-system disk or disk
error" message.

Yes, I made sure to download the image as binary.  I tried using both
fdimage and the older rawrite.  No dice.  I formatted the disk first, ran
scandisk to make sure it was clean, and then wrote the image.  A possible
clue: should Windows and/or scandisk be able to make any sense of the disk
afterwards?  I wouldn't think so, but if they're supposed to, then my disks
are definitely bad, because they can't.

I couldn't find CD images anywhere on the net to see if that got past the
problem.

Although it's rude to ask, I would appreciate direct copies of replies;
I'll subscribe to the list after I get this working.  (I used to help back
in '97 or so, and I've helped Nik with some problems with the Handbook, so
I've paid my dues. (-: )

Thanks in advance,
Chris
--
Christopher R. Maden, Principal Consultant, HMM Consulting Int'l, Inc.