Date:      Tue, 18 Aug 1998 09:00:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fwd: "Using capabilties aaginst shell code" <dps@IO.STARGATE.CO.UK>

Some work was going on at TIS Advanced Research and Engineering (now
TISLabs at NAI) concerning a "Wrappers" project that involved replacing
syscalls using an lkm to modify the security policy of a host.  There was
a paper at USENIX a while ago I believe; I'll try to send out URL
references later today, but am not currently in the office.

If I understand correctly, they had some problems with the mmap file IO
mechanism as it is one of the read/write mechanisms that does not involve
the syscall interface (once initiated).

I have been thinking about implementing posix capabilities in BSD, but
don't have a copy of the spec.  Anyone have any pointers to where I could
find it?  From what I have heard, Posix capabilities are not the answer to
the unix security problem (that is, the desired for fine-grained access
controls), as it only addresses a few specific (but common) cases.

Robert Watson

On Fri, 14 Aug 1998, Philippe Regnauld wrote:

> 	(see message below)
>
> 	Is this any form of restriction that can be implemented
> 	in *BSD systems ?  I.e.: restricting system calls to
> 	certain classes of daemons ?
>
> 	As mentioned in the example below, why should POPd be allowed
> 	to exec() ?  This seems like a very sane approach (of course,
> 	it implies knowledge/auditing of the code).
>
> 	Then we could have certain untrusted (i.e.: running as
> 	root) daemons launched in such an environment, on top
> 	of being chroot()ed.
>
> -----Forwarded message from Duncan Simpson <dps@IO.STARGATE.CO.UK>-----
>
> From: Duncan Simpson <dps@IO.STARGATE.CO.UK>
> Subject:      Using capabilties aaginst shell code
> To: BUGTRAQ@NETSPACE.ORG
> Date:         Wed, 12 Aug 1998 21:33:51 +0200

> The development of capabilities with Linux (and some section of POSIX, if the
> header is to be believed) creates an opportunity for tightening security by
> sandboxing daemons---imapd and popd have no legitimate use for various system
> calls, for example. In particular exec is fundamental to most buffer overrun
> shellcode and not required by many daemons.
>
> 	[...]
>
> -----End of forwarded message-----
>
> --
>  -[ Philippe Regnauld / sysadmin / regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk / +55.4N +11.3E ]-
>
>                The Internet is busy.  Please try again later.

  Robert N Watson

Carnegie Mellon University            http://www.cmu.edu/
TIS Labs at Network Associates, Inc.  http://www.tis.com/
SafePort Network Services             http://www.safeport.com/