Date:      Mon, 12 Aug 1996 06:55:00 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>, Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>, "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs%freebsd.org@sunrise.cs.berkeley.edu>, bvsmith@lbl.gov, ports%freebsd.org@sunrise.cs.berkeley.edu, gj%freebsd.org@sunrise.cs.berkeley.edu, me%freebsd.org@sunrise.cs.berkeley.edu, asami%freebsd.org@sunrise.cs.berkeley.edu
Subject:   Re: xfig.3.1.4 extension to support vi -C signals linkage

> In an ideal world ... True ... every package would come pre designed for ever
> last eventuality, & we wouldn't need to add anything  ;-)

I'm not asking for a holy grail, I'm simply saying that rather than
modifying n ports in the same way, it would make far more sense to
evolve a more generic communications mechanism that *other* editors
could also use, and would have well-defined hooks for ports authors to
register if they so wished (catching SIGUSR1 is not my definition of a
"hook" :-).

						Jordan