Date:      Tue, 04 Apr 2000 21:38:57 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        "Stephen Yip" <stephenyw@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, "Customer Support" <Customer.Support@alpha-processor.com>, "Sales" <sales@microway.com>, "Technical Support" <tech@microway.com>
Subject:   Re: <<<<<need help>>>>>>

On Wed, 05 Apr 2000 02:25:48 +0800, "Stephen Yip" wrote:

> We are a company who looking for high performance and Open Platform  yet
> very stables machines.  So we have chose Free BSD 4.0 as our OS for it
> is configurable, high compatibility and yet high performance.

Excellent!

While there are a few issues to be ironed out in FreeBSD 4.0, they're
things a lot of people won't even see (e.g. tcpdump not installed if you
don't select the crypto distribution).  In terms of stability and
performance, FreeBSD 4.0 is cut from an excellent vintage if you talk to
people in the know.

FreeBSD 4.0 ships with the amr driver, although you'd have noticed that
it wasn't mentioned in the release notes.  You should probably chat to
the author of the driver, Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.org>.

Please note that Mike is a _very_ busy guy, so the more detailed a
description of your configuration, the better.  I have absolutely no
idea what sort of configuration options are available for the actual
hardware, so I can't be more specific in my advice.  But try to tell him
as much about the way things are configured as possible.

Also, try to include in your message the output of a verbose boot.  From
the boot prompt, do ``boot -v'' and then, when you get into single-user
or multi-user mode, use the dmesg(8) command to reproduce the boot probe
messages.

Good luck!
Sheldon.

PS: I saw that you got at least one message from someone suggesting that
    FreeBSD 4.0 is not for use in the production environment.  While it
    must by now be obvious that there are many opinions floating around,
    I'd urge you to insist that people substantiate such claims.  Also,
    remember that many people confuse stability with minor issues like
    the tcpdump problem mentioned above. :-)