Date:      Tue, 21 Aug 2007 15:44:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Glenn Sieb" <ges+lists@wingfoot.org>
To:        "Jonathan Horne" <freebsd@dfwlp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS /etc/exports question..

Hi Jonathan!

Jonathan Horne wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 August 2007 13:16:54 Glenn Sieb wrote:
>> /u2 -alldirs...
>
> first up, that line negates the need for:
>
> /u2/opt/portage  -alldirs....
>
> alldirs, is all dirs!  anything underneath is then redundant.

Understood. Fixed that.

>> /u2 -alldirs -maproot=root important1.domain.com important2.domain.com
>
> probably requires correctly configured DNS or proper entries in the hosts
> files.  while you are working this problem out, i would eliminate that
> line, as it might be conflicting with:
>

>>/u2 -alldirs -network 127.0.0.0 -mask 255.255.255.0
>>/u2 -alldirs -network 10.0.5.0 -mask 255.255.255.0

Yes, because this was the question I had originally.. :) How can I make
sure that I get -maproot=root on those two named boxes, which live inside
the 127.0.0.0/255 network, while still allowing the rest of the boxes
present in both other subnets to access the shared *without*
-maproot=root? The errors I posted were specifically complaining about the
127.0.0.0 and 10.0.5.0 network lines (note, for security I am not posting
the real network ranges).

The two boxes in question, do have working DNS, and are boxes we use as
our NIS masters, so I need to be able to create home directories on the
fileserver, where the home directories live, hence needing maproot.

The other boxes in the 127.0.0.0/255 range are other servers in my
cluster, which need to mount directories from the fileserver--and in my
case, a lot      of users have sudo capability for testing/development
purposes, so I don't want them having -maproot=root capability on those
other servers.

10.0.5.0 is a range of IPs where my users mount their home directories and
shared tools directories on their desktop boxes.

Does this clear up my question?

Thanks in advance!
Best,
--Glenn