Date:      Thu, 13 Jun 1996 15:21:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: still hanging up...

According to Sean Kelly:

>     Gary> Recently (past few weeks, max), when I am working
>     Gary> remote and connected via user-ppp, my keyboard will
>     Gary> lock up.  The mouse moves the curson and things X-Window
>     Gary> events happen, but the keyboard is Dead.
>
> Is there any chance you're running Netscape while this is happening?
> I've experienced some problems with keyboard focus and Netscape.
> Apparently, Netscape refuses to give up the keyboard focus after
> interacting with some of its dialogs or with text entry fields on a
> page, particularly after pasting text into a field with button 2.

		No, not using Netscape.  Usually typing in mail/elm
		on the remote site, my workstation, when things
		lock up.  Not always, but often.

>     Gary> Ihad thought that this was a file system problem,
>     Gary> especially when /var seems to always be trashed upon
>     Gary> power-cycling.
>
> Probably normal for /var, and probably nothing to worry about ... so
> you lose a log file, big deal.
>
> To avoid power cycling, make yourself a little Tcl/Tk widget that'll
> shutdown the system cleanly when pressed.

	I know zip about tcl.... am a real newbie re X-hacking.
	That's a good idea: a simple X-app that would do a
	shutdown.  Point-and-click shutdown! ha...

>     Gary> Usually after I clean the filesystems by doing several
>     Gary> fsck's, then I can login via ppp and have no problem.
>     Gary> An hour or so ago it happened again, with the fs's
>     Gary> _clean_.  Then minutes ago, it happened yet again.
>
>     Gary> Anybody have any clues?
>
> To see if the keyboard is actually dead, try switching from your X
> window session to another virtual terminal ... use CTRL, ALT, and one
> of the Function keys all at the same time.

	Pretty sure that I tried *everything* when this locking
	happened last month.  I tried every key, tried switching
	terms, tried scores of C-A-D's.  Zero.  Finally went over
	and power-cycled.

	Anybody think it could be that my /usr fs is nearing its
	over-full lim?

	qv:

p7 15:08 <tao> [9] df                                                     ~/bin
Filesystem  512-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/sd0a       155144    41750   100982    29%    /
/dev/sd0s1e    1089860   921342    81328    92%    /usr
/dev/sd0s1f     310322   105206   180290    37%    /var
/dev/sd0s1g     341908   234086    80468    74%    /usr/local
procfs               8        8        0   100%    /proc
/dev/cd0a       268108   268108        0   100%    /cdrom

	I do need another GB disk, but waiting to buy a 2.1.5 CD
	and upgrade to the new release before I get the drive.

	Anybody else??

	gary