Date:      Sun, 15 Oct 1995 08:50:34 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, j@uriah.heep.sax.de
Subject:   Re: lint

>> >. The ANSI-violating definitions for fgets() (second parameter must be
>> >  int, not size_t) and ftell() (parameter is not const); i'm about to

>They are benign, and only become apparent by manually declaring the
>functions according to the ANSI standard.  Jochen Pohl's llib-lstdc
>does this.

I first notice the `const' problem in libpthreads it 1.1.5.  It implemented
ftell() correctly (though it's not incorrect to not modify the parameter)
but I somehow misread the standard and thought that it was libpthreads that
was wrong.

>The newly-built lint buried another bogon out of the depths of the
>header mishmash: we've got a name clash for struct pmap!  It's
>declared inside the VM stuff as a "page map" structure
>(machine/pmap.h), and inside the RPC library as a "portmapper"
>structure.  The header files for both are required to have a complete
>set of header files describing the libc.

One way to find more bogons than you want to know about is to include
all headers.  Another way is to change all typedefs in headers to ones
that are allowed by standards but weird.  Portable applications should
still compile cleanly with maximal warnings enabled.

Bruce